Despite the fact that rosacea can be present at any time, “the heat of the summer is key in the increase in cases at this time,” indicated a specialist.
Among the diseases that affect the skin, Rosacea, is usually one of the most common. As indicated on the Mayo Clinic website, this skin condition “causes redness and visible blood vessels on the face.”
The prestigious North American clinic also indicates that this disease and its symptoms “can appear for weeks or months and then disappear for a while”, and that it is also very easy to confuse it with acne, other skin problems or natural redness.
Although rosacea can affect anyone, specialists warn that “it is more common in middle-aged women who have fair skin.” On the other hand, they also report that this disease has no cure, although its treatment can control and reduce its signs and symptoms.
In this regard, Vidaintegra’s dermatologist, Andres Lehmann, explained that “although it is a chronic condition, if we maintain basic care we can be well and have it moderately controlled. However, there will always be the possibility of having an episode of redness and / or inflammation if the conditions allow it ”.
How to avoid redness?
Daniela Saavedra, a dermatologist at Clinica Davila, tells us that to somehow avoid the color that rosacea causes us, especially in summer, the main thing is that we have a good facial cleansing, “either with a very mild soap or a micellar lotion for sensitive skin, then apply the cream, which is a cream indicated by a specialist that they can buy or have them made ”.
However, if the skin is already very red and the creams are not working, “it is ideal to apply laser”. You have to take into account that if, that “these procedures are done in winter and there is more than one type of laser. There is one to avoid redness and there are others that will need to burn specific blood vessels, so it is not the same laser for people and not all are suitable for laser, since they could be stained “, reported the specialist.
Tips to take care of rosacea in summer
Although rosacea occurs throughout the year, “the heat typical of summer is key in the increase in cases at this time,” says Dr. Lehmann.
For this reason, the specialist at the Davila Clinic also shared some tips that could be useful to those who are suffering from this condition:
- Do not expose yourself to very hot or very closed places.
- Showers that are short, with warm water and with the door slightly open.
- Walk in the shade that does not give us the sun directly on our faces.
- Use sunscreen, a suitable one so that the skin does not burn and indicated by a dermatologist.
- Cleaning the face with a special liquid. There are micellar lotions that are special for sensitive skin since not all of them work because there are creams or lotions that could irritate the skin.
- Take care of your diet, since rosacea is also activated with some warm foods such as nuts, alcohol, mayonnaise, dressings and condiments.